Tiger King’s Carol Baskins DIY Dog Halloween Costume
Remember to post pictures of your dog in costume to your social media using #SmellyDogCostume2020
What you need:
-1 Light Pink or Light Purple Dog Tee Shirt – Amazon.com $8.99
-1 Sheet Light Fabric Transfer Paper (Do NOT use Dark Fabric Transfer because it has a white background instead of clear) – Officedepot.com: Inkjet Printer T-Shirt Transfer Paper $19.99
-3 Colors of Yarn
-Felt Flower Stickers – Joann.com: Little Makers Felt Adhesive Stickers Flowers $3.99
-Cardboard piece that fits inside dog tee (I used the front of a cereal box)
-Ink Jet Printer
-Sturdy Piece of Board or Sturdy Wooden Table large enough to iron your tee
-Fabric Tape Measure
1. Print the Leopard Template onto a Light Tee Fabric Transfer Sheet using your ink jet printer. It does NOT matter if you mirror image because it is symmetrical. Use scissors to cut out the design. Cut as close to the edge of the pattern as you can to limit the amount of “clear” transfer along the edges.
2. Place cardboard piece inside the dog tee shirt. Do NOT use an ironing board for this project. Instead use a sturdy wood table or board. Place a pillow case over the table or board and iron your tee shirt. Be sure to get all the wrinkles out.
3. While tee is still warm, quickly place the Leopard design in the proper places on the tee, either face up or down, as instructed by your transfer paper. Cover the transfer paper with silicon sheet, if needed. (Note: Avery transfer paper has the silicon on the back of the sheet. Other brands do not, but might provide the silicon sheet in the pack, like PPD Brand.) Iron the design on high heat with NO steam. The Avery brand transfer paper suggests ironing for 3 minutes. I suggest slowly moving over the image in small circles and focus on the edges. Choose several felt flowers and stick them onto the tee shirt. Now you have finished Carol’s Leopard tee shirt.
4. Using your fabric tape measure, measure around your dog’s head for Carol’s headband, and add 12 inches. I chose to put the headband over my dog’s eyes and around the jaw line because the headband will NOT stay on if I put it any other way. Cut 3 pieces of yarn in different colors to the length you measured above (don’t forget to add the 12 inches!). Tie one end of the 3 pieces into a knot, and braid the yarn. End the braid by tying another knot. You now have a long braid.
5. Take 3 to 5 felt flowers and stick them onto the braid. Now Carol’s hippy headband is finished.
Dress up your dog and enjoy!